Counseling‎ > ‎

Applying to Community College

Meet the Staff

Grade Level Guidance

Community College is a great option for students to take general education courses (that will apply to their 4 year degree) at a fraction of the cost of a 4 year college or university. It is also a great option for students interested in technical or certificate programs. Whether your goal is to transfer to a 4-year, get an associates degree or get hands on training for your future career in a certificate program, community college is a great option. In order to enroll as a full-time student in a California Community College, students must have a high school diploma or equivalent, or be at least 18 years old.
California Community Colleges- links you to all of the California Community Colleges.

Sierra College:
  • Sierra College
    • The enrollment process has multiple steps to complete before students can register:
    1. Apply to Sierra
    2. Set up mySierra account ( you will receive an email from Sierra shortly after applying, you must follow the directions to reset your mySierra password
    3. Complete College Terms and Conditions in mySierra
    4. Submit unofficial transcript to for course placement
  • Placement assessments in math and/or English may be required. Students may use transcripts, Early Assessment Placement Test (EAP), SAT or ACT scores to place into college level English and Math. 
  • Use Sierra's Placement Tool to see if you are exempt from taking the Math and English Assessment.
                         5. Meet with a Counselor
                         6. Create class schedule
                         7. Register for Classes
                         8. Pay Tuition and Fees
Los Rios Community Colleges:
  • Los Rios Community Colleges - Some students may be interested in taking classes at American River College, Folsom Lake, Consumnes or Sac City. Programs very between California Community Colleges, so research program offerings to see if they have your area of study. 
Transferring from a 2 year to a 4 year:
  • CSU Transfer from Community College
  • Associate Degree for Transfer- Earn Priority admission to the California State University with junior standing once you earn an Associate Degree for Transfer (AA-T or AS-T) at a California Community College. This is the best way for a student to transfer between the two college systems. Complete 60 units at a California Community College to receive your AA-T or AS-T and you are guaranteed to have only 60 units (90 quarter units) remaining at a CSU.
  • CSU -LocalAdmission-Service Areas- CSU's have local admission service areas where they have higher consideration for incoming transfers. Consideration is given to either where you attending high school or where you attended Community College. For example, if you are looking to transfer to San Diego State, it may be in your best interest to attend a community college in SDSU's local service area.
  • Assist- a great way to see what courses are required and will transfer to a California 4-year university, based on your desired major.